NEW BRUNSWICK, NJ – Patients, families and staff from The Bristol-Myers Squibb Children’s Hospital (BMSCH) at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital (RWJUH) recently welcomed the Embrace Kids Foundation to thank the organization for its commitment and support of the hospital, which spans nearly two decades.
Embrace Kids is a non-profit agency that supports families and children who are undergoing treatment for cancer and other blood disorders. The New Brunswick-based organization donated $267,231 to BMSCH this year and has provided a total of $1.5 million to support pediatric hematology and oncology programs at BMSCH since 1992. Families and children who received treatment at BMSCH recently welcomed Embrace Kids’ leadership to the hospital to present them with a giant, hand-made thank you card to show their appreciation.
“We are extremely proud of the partnership that has existed between RWJUH and Embrace Kids since 1992 and we are deeply grateful for their support,” said Stephen K. Jones, FACHE, President and Chief Executive Officer at BMSCH and RWJUH. “There is no doubt in my mind that this relationship has served as a major catalyst which enabled our pediatric hematology/oncology unit and our children’s hospital to become the outstanding programs that they are today.”
With Embrace Kids’ support, BMSCH’s pediatric hematology/oncology unit grew from shared space within the main hospital to a separate, dedicated unit in the brand new Bristol-Meyers Squibb Children’s Hospital, which opened in 2001.
“We have enjoyed a special partnership with BMSCH for many years,” notes Glenn Jenkins, Executive Director of the Embrace Kids Foundation. “BMSCH is known for providing outstanding care and we are proud to support the hospital’s growth as well the dedicated and compassionate caregivers who care for the children and families we assist.”
Since 1992, Embrace Kids has supported the growth of BMSCH’s pediatric hematology/oncology programs through:
- Awarding grants to support counselor positions and child life specialists on BMSCH’s pediatric hematology/oncology unit.
- Providing funding for a full-time teacher and tutor to help children who are experiencing a longer stay on the unit maintain their studies.
- Giving critical financial support to BMSCH’s internationally recognized David Zullo Pediatric Palliative Care Program. Embrace Kids’ contributions help BMSCH provide the nurses who make home visits to ensure that children receive seamless, compassionate care.
- Supporting numerous programs to meet the psychosocial needs of children and their families, such as an annual Thanksgiving Day lunch in November and Holiday Party in December.
- Offering financial assistance and programs to address all aspects of families’ lives, including counseling, assistance with household bills and even “spa” days for mothers of children who are receiving treatment at BMSCH.
- Hosting an Annual Dance Marathon benefit at Rutgers University. This outstanding event is a true community partnership with Rutgers students, WMGQ Magic 98.3 and Embrace Kids working together to support pediatric hematology/oncology programs in the community.
About the Embrace Kids Foundation
Since 1991, Embrace Kids Foundation has existed to support the non-medical needs of kids with cancer or a blood disorder. Founded by a small group of volunteers, the charity spends over $1 million a year to fulfill its mission.
Our programs and support services are offered to patient families under care at the Bristol-Myers Squibb Children’s Hospital at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital (RWJUH), The Cancer Institute of New Jersey, and Jersey Shore University Medical Center. However, we are not funded by these institutions. Rather, we are an independent organization providing the resources that help support families and hospital-based programs for the child-patients that would not be available otherwise.
All of the services we provide are free. Although many of these patients have some form of insurance, it does not cover support services or direct assistance to families.